Saturday 1 July 2017

Day 24 - Planing the headstock and preparing neck measurements

I planed the headstock to make it flat



I sanded the headstock to make it smooth and to remove any creases from the planing.


I measured and marked the points on the neck for the 12th fret and for the edge, leaving space for the dovetail joint.


I checked the measurements against the pre-slotted fretboard. 


I cut the end of the neck.


I placed a toothpick under the neck, near the headstock and sanded the edge flat. The toothpick has a 2mm diameter, this will create a slight downward angle for the neck when it will be fitted against the body


I traced around the headstock onto a piece of flat ebony.


I cut the ebony on the band saw.


I traced the outline of the ebony onto thin sheets of light and dark wood and cut these on the band saw. 


These will be laminated together onto the headstock.


I glued the thin sheets of wood together.



I positioned the fretboard on the neck and used a try square to ensure that the positioning was correct.


I positioned a fretboard template on top and taped it all to the neck to hold it in place.


I drilled 2mm holes through the fretboard and into the neck.


I inserted toothpicks into the holes to hold the fretboard in position.







No comments:

Post a Comment